Recipe for Fire Tongs Punch
The German Feuerzangenbowle is a classic and a alcoholic beverage too, which is traditionally served for Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve. We found a wonderful recipe for you making your own, inspiring fire punch at home. It is lots of fun but it should also be prepared with caution.
- fire punch hot pot set
- 2 organic oranges
- 2 organic lemons
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 5 cloves
- 2-3 quart of dry red wine (brand and price do not matter)
- 2 cups of brown rum (has to have at least 54% vol. alcohol)
- 1 sugar cone
- depending on your taste you can also add 1 pinch of ground ginger, 1 pinch of cardamom and 1 pinch of allspice
- Wash citrus fruits in hot water to remove dirt and possible wax residue, then thinly cut into slices or wedges.
- In a large pot add red wine, sliced citrus fruits and spices and gradually heat until it is almost boiling (but make sure it does not come to a boil). Remove pot from heat and pour mulled wine mixture into the glass bowl of the fire punch hot pot set.
- Place the fire tongs on the rim of the glass bowl, making sure it is securely in place. Place sugar cone onto the fire tongs.
- Soak the sugar cone with rum until saturated but not disintegrating, using a long-handled ladle. Carefully light the sugar cone on fire using a safety lighter. While the sugar is burning, the caramelizing hot sugar will drip into your mulled wine mixture (punch). Tip: Dimming down the lights after igniting the sugar cone to see a visually and impressive, blue flaming spectacle.
- Carefully pour more rum over the sugar cone, using the ladle until all sugar is completely dissolved.
- Stir the „brew“ and serve it in mugs or heat-proof glasses.
Enjoy the gathering with friends and family.
Notes: Extreme, necessary caution must be taken when handling alcohol and open flame, particularly with high alcohol content ingredients. Use long wooden matches or extended candle lighters to ignite the sugar, NOT SHORT MATCHES or cigarette lighters. Be very careful that nothing flammable like paper or cloth are around. Do not make this hot beverage in rooms with low hanging ceilings. And please do not try this without a fire extinguisher handy. Not a good idea to make it if there are rambunctious children or pets around. We disclaim any responsibility if you burn yourself or property out of gross negligence.
No posts found